Re: xorg and fonts

On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 09:37:38AM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:

> The manpage is wrong about the paths, fonts are in /usr/share/fonts and
> that's where the server looks.  See http://bugs.debian.org/428918.

This bug doesn't mention the paths. I'll send a followup.

> It uses a compile-time path, we have to UTSL to find it out.  The Debian
> package is configured with (sorry for the overly long line)
>
> --with-default-font-path="/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
> /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic,
> /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,
> /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled,
> /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,
> /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,
> /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi,
> /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"

UTSL?

xset q says:

Font Path:
 /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,
 /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/,
 /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/,
 /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
 /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,
 /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,
 /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,
 /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType

So what does it mean when man xorg.conf says that "the server falls
back to the compiled-in default font path" in case no font path is
specified in xorg.conf? In xorg.conf, I have specified:

 FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/encodings/"
 FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
 FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/"
 FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/"
 FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/util/"

Now some font paths seem to come from somewhere else than from the
configuration. What happens with the compiled-in defaults when a font
path is specified in the configuration?

And look at the path: Three entries are doubled (100dpi/:unscaled,
misc, Type1), one entry seems to be incorrect (100dpi), and one entry
might come from the compiled-in defaults. Two of the paths I specified
seem to be invalid --- if there are no fonts in those directories,
what do they have to do under /usr/share/X11/fonts? What a mess ...

Is it just me, or is Debian getting more and more sloppy with things
like this?

--
"Don't let them, daddy. Don't let the stars run down."
http://adin.dyndns.org/adin/TheLastQ.htm