Re: software raid 1: how to remove a UUID from a device?

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 10:14:42AM +0100, Neil wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 10:15 PM, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > after switching from i386 to x86_64, my software RAID-1 partitions
> > were not discovered automatically as they should have been. It seems
> > that the physical devices (/dev/sda and /dev/sdb) have UUIDs stored
> > from when I first tried to create the array, and that may have
> > confused the automatic detection.
> >
> > My first try (a couple years ago, when the disks were new) had been to
> > create a RAID-1 from the two disks and to partition that array later
> > as needed. But that didn't work, so I created partitions on the disks
> > and then created RAID-1 arrays from these partitions. Now it looks like this:
> >

> <snip>
>
> > Note that the physical devices /dev/sda and /dev/sdb have UUIDs
> > stored. How do I remove these UUIDs?
> >

> You can't. The UUID is calculated out of the properties of the disk
> (dunno wich exactly). It's like trying to remove the MD5 checsum of
> something: you can't.

??

I accidentally did a mdadm /dev/md0 /dev/sdc  (notice no partition
number), which made mdadm write a superblock, I had to zero the super
block to stop mdadm complaining about sdc, because I had partitions on
there which where being used in md devices.  Why do you think you can't
zero out the md-super block for /dev/sdc ?