Re: software raid 1: how to remove a UUID from a device?

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 10:15 PM, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after switching from i386 to x86_64, my software RAID-1 partitions
> were not discovered automatically as they should have been. It seems
> that the physical devices (/dev/sda and /dev/sdb) have UUIDs stored
> from when I first tried to create the array, and that may have
> confused the automatic detection.
>
> My first try (a couple years ago, when the disks were new) had been to
> create a RAID-1 from the two disks and to partition that array later
> as needed. But that didn't work, so I created partitions on the disks
> and then created RAID-1 arrays from these partitions. Now it looks like this:

<snip>

> Note that the physical devices /dev/sda and /dev/sdb have UUIDs
> stored. How do I remove these UUIDs?

You can't. The UUID is calculated out of the properties of the disk
(dunno wich exactly). It's like trying to remove the MD5 checsum of
something: you can't.

However: your problem will be solvable and the guys who know how to do
this are already busy.

Neil

--
While working towards the future one should be ensuring that there is
a future to work to.