Re: Problem in installing alsa driver on Etch

On Wednesday 03 December 2008 20:38, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 05:35, steef <debian.linux@home.nl> wrote:
> > Nigel Henry wrote:
> >> I have no problems upgrading the alsa driver on Ubuntu/Kubuntu, or
> >> Fedora. On Ubuntu/Kubuntu I just install the build-essential,
> >> kernel-package, and the kernel headers for the running kernel, then a
> >> simple ./configure, make, and as root, make install, and the alsa driver
> >> is upgraded.
> >>
> >> I have installed the same packages on my Etch install for the etchnhalf
> >> kernel. Both the AMD64, and the x86 versions of the kernel are
> >> installed.
> >>
> >> On my Kubuntu Dapper install, which has alsa driver 1.0.10, the sound
> >> doesn't work, but upgrading to alsa driver 1.0.15 from the Alsa site,
> >> gets the sound working.
> >>
> >> The etchnhalf kernel also uses alsa driver 1.0.15, but in this case
> >> there is no sound.
> >>
> >> I know the sound works ok on this Etch install, as I have a 2.6.26
> >> kernel from the Musix repo installed, which uses alsa driver 1.0.16.
> >>
> >> Now the problem:
> >>
> >> Etchnhalf has the 1.0.15 alsa driver, which for some reason fails to
> >> find a soundcard. I have a 1.0.15 alsa driver (and later ones) from the
> >> Alsa site. I want to see if the alsa driver 1.0.15 from the Alsa site is
> >> in some way different from the one installed with the etchnhalf kernel.
> >> Now to simply upgrade the driver. Having unpacked the driver, I cd to
> >> the driver folder, and run ./configure, and I don't see any problems.
> >> Then I run make, which runs for a bit, then stops with the problem
> >> below.
<make skipped as it fails>

> Do you have the correct header files for that kernel?

The header files for 2.6.18-6-686, and for etchnhalf x86, and AMD64 kernels
are installed.

I just tried to upgrade the alsa driver on another machine (Etch again) which
has kernel version 2.6.18-5 on it. As I normally do, I did this from where
the 1.0.15 alsa driver was located in my /home/user directory. ./configure
ran to completion with no problems, and make also ran to completion. I didn't
run make install as root because the sounds are working fine on this machine,
which has an audigy2 soundblaster card.

Now I switch back to the other machine, which has the hda intel card, and try
the same procedure with the 2.6.18-6 kernel. ./configure runs to completion.
Make also runs to completion. Now I run as root make install, and it runs to
completion. I reboot, and now cat /proc/asound/version shows 1.0.15 for the
2.6.18-6 kernel. I'd tried this back in October with the same kernel, but
couldn't upgrade the alsa driver. The only difference today is that after
make ran to completion, I su'ed to root, and ran make -n install, which I
thought might give some output without actually upgrading the alsa driver. I
did get some output, which didn't say much, then ran make install which
upgraded the alsa driver from 1.0.12rc1 to 1.0.15.

None of this explains why make is throwing in the towel when trying to upgrade
the alsa driver with the etchnhalf kernels, with the following output.

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-486'
scripts/Makefile.build:46: *** CFLAGS was changed in
"/home/djmons/Downloads/Alsa-drivers/alsa-driver-1.0.15/acore/Makefile". Fix
it to use EXTRA_CFLAGS.  Stop.

And I get the same with the AMD64 kernel.

It's all a bit academic, as the Musix 2.6.26 kernel, using alsa driver 1.0.16
has working sounds, and now having upgraded the alsa driver on the 2.6.18-6
kernel from 1.0.12rc1 to 1.0.15, that also has working sounds for the hda
intel card on my Asus M2N-X Plus mobo.

I think I'll leave the etchnhalf kernels alone for a while, on the premise
that, If it works, don't mess with it, and the sounds are working with 2
kernels, but not the etchnhalf ones.

Nigel.