Xorg broken while upgrading from Etch to Lenny

Hi (cross-posting from Debian-testing list)
Yesterday I upgraded from Etch to Lenny.
1. changed etch to lenny in /etc/apt/sources.list
2. # apt-get update
3. # apt-install install dpkg aptitude apt
4. # aptitude full-upgrade

I rebooted the machine after upgrading and X failed to start. It showed error: "failed to start X server : no screen found"
An attempt to run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" couldn't fix the problem and neither could "X -configure". The error shown while trying to "startx" after dpkg-reconfigure was:
"failed load module 'vesa' module does not exist .
fatal server error: no screens found"

Xorg -configure produced the following error: "no device to configure. configuration failed"

Another error encountered while trying to "startx" was:  "no drivers available. fatal server error : no screens found"

The xorg.conf file (I'm surprised to look at its structure, but I haven't edited it) is at: http://pastebin.com/f3964aa53

Finally, I removed xserver-xorg and installed it. Other xserver-* packages were also reinstalled while doing this. That solved the problem finally.

1. # apt-get remove xserver-xorg
2. # apt-get install xserver-xorg

The system is running perfectly well except this hitch. Could someone explain why this happened?

Bibek