Re: Record or Download RTMPT Stream

On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 11:41:35 -0700, wauhugo@yahoo.com wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 14:48:09 -0700, wauhugo AT yahoo DOT com wrote:
>> I can playback the stream through the speakers and record it from the
>> microphone with the sound recorder application. (with added noise and
>> worse quality)
>> Is there any better way to download or record such RTMPT streams for
>> offline use?
>>
>> (running SID amd64 HDA nForce sound chip)

[...]

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/.asoundrc

> Other pages, found with google, mention the "/etc/asound.conf" file.
> Where is this file to be found on a Debian system (SID amd64)?
>
> Others proposed to use JACK. But running jackd -d alsa  reduces the
> available RECORDING DEVICES in AUDACITY to ZERO (not one device
> available).
> How can JACK be configured and be used to redirect the sound from a
> stream, which is playing to a RECORDING DEVICE?

I have never used jack (or any other sound daemon) to record the PCM
output. All the soundcards that I am familiar with have "Mix" as a
capture device, and then the procedure is straightforward:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Record_from_pcm

[...]

> These are the devices: $ arecord -lL

[...]

If you cannot find the "Mix" capture device then maybe it has another
name (or there is a problem with the support for soundcard). I would be
interested in seeing the output of:

amixer | perl -n0e 'split(/(?<=\n)(?=[^ ])/);foreach(@_){if(/capture/i){print $_}}'

Another possibility is using ALSA's "file" plugin to direct the PCM output to a
file:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/pcm_plugins.html#pcm_plugins_file

I have never used that method myself, though; my impression is that it
is not particularly straightforward to set up.

          Florian   |