Re: Debian Project News - December 2nd, 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<bss03@volumehost.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 December 2008, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl <tolimar@debian.org>
> wrote about 'Debian Project News - December 2nd, 2008':
>>Dependency based boot sequencing release goal completed
>>
>>Petter Reinholdtsen [12]announced that the release goal of supporting a
>>dependency based boot sequence has been completed. This allows system
>>services to be started in an order which is calculated from their
>>dependencies on each other instead of a hardcoded order.
>>
>> 12: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/11/msg00007.html
>
> The linked mail makes reference to the "insserv" package.  Is that package
> required to get a dependency-based boot sequence?  Is that package
> sufficent to get a dependency-base boot sequence?
>
> I ask because I'd like to start testing it on both my desktop (Lenny) and
> laptop (Etch[Base]/Etch-Backports/Lenny[Mostly]/Sid/Experimental[1]).

I am currently using insserv in my work laptop and it works perfectly
here. I haven't measured before / after boot times, but the difference
is perceivable. I reckon it boots now at most in half the time it used
to.

Just follow the instructions in /usr/share/doc/insserv/README.Debian
and you're off (they're just two commands anyway).

Cheers and thanks to all debian devs for bringing us such a great OS.