Re: /dev/shm lost

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 04:16:08 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> n Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:55:55 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> >> I used to have the tmpfs /dev/shm, but lost it due to recent update.
> >>
> >> I'm wondering who is in charge of creating it -- so as to get it back.
> >
> > /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
>
> hmm... I have that file and still don't have /dev/shm.

The file has to be linked somewhere so that it is called during boot:

$ find -L /etc/rc?.d -samefile /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
/etc/rcS.d/S04mountdevsubfs.sh

> Trying to find the reason myself, I found the real reason that I don't
> have /dev/shm:
>
>  % domount tmpfs shmfs /dev/shm tmpfs -onosuid,nodev
>  Files under mount point '/dev/shm' will be hidden. (warning).
>
> Why is that?

That message means that /dev/shm was already existing and that there was
at least one file in it. Mounting the new shmfs will hide all files
under the mountpoint; that happens whenever you mount something on a
non-empty directory.

> How can I let the script not hide files under /dev/shm?

How exactly did you assert that /dev/shm was not existing already? The
script seems to have found it and even some files in it. You can run the
same check:

$ source /lib/init/mount-functions.sh
$ is_empty_dir /dev/shm
$ echo $?
1

The non-zero exit status means "false", i.e. the directory is not empty.

          Florian   |