Re: nVidia TLS silent killer

Paul Cartwright on 09/10/08 13:06, wrote:
On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 12:49:24 +0100
Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:

I had abject problems with the nVidia non-free driver over the last
10 days but I think I finally have sorted them out now - almost.

I can't use "nv" because my Java IDE started crashing on a frequent
basis, so I decided to install and compile the non-free packaged
driver.

This was a story in itself, and after getting that sorted, I thought
I'd be OK, but I guess it built up a lethal mixture on my system of
old drivers and modules
- suffice it to say I had kernel 2.6.26 from backports and I had to
ditch that, and I had used nvidia-installer from nvidia.com and had
ditched that, following some instructions on the net which left the
non-free package uninstallable, so my system's not exactly pristine,
but it's back in a state where everything appears OK.

So after compiling and configuring nvidia-glx, I'd get xorg up and
running with the Driver "nvidia" in xorg.conf, but each reboot led
back to xorg failing to start.

I followed the latest wikis and install instructions and still, each
reboot killed it. I couldn't find any reference to a similar problem
with a solution that helped, and the logs on my system reported no
errors - all fine and dandy and then EOF.

I've used dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg so often I've memorised the
key strokes. I also used nvidia-xconfig. I've played around with
lspci and lsmod and "modprobe -r" and mesa-utils and all that jazz
trying to figure out my issue.

What finally sorted it out for me was /etc/default/nvidia-glx - I
really wish I'd seen that sooner.

Now I can use xorg with the nVidia driver if I boot to a CL and then
run

sudo /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx stop
sudo /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx start
startx

with the /etc/default/nvidia-glx USE_TLS=1 setting.

I guess I'm ranting, but does anyone know what I can do to fix this
last thing?

when I started to have nvidia problems on my Dell box, I found this
answer:
run this from a text login shell ( alt-F1)

# sgfxi -c

of course you need sgfxi installed..
see:
http://techpatterns.com/forums/about933.html

Forgot to mention, this is on etch/stable.

From that site, quote: Debian sid and testing systems only offiicially supported, but feel free to try it with Etch/stable and report if it works or not.

I figure at this point, I'd be pushing my luck.

regards
Adam