anyone installed nvidia drivers on etch recently?

I'm suffering from repeated crashes in my Eclipse IDE, which is java. Restarting it is slow and losing work is never much fun anyway, but I thought I'd find a solution until now.

I have 4 approaches to the problem:
 - upgrade java (done that, now on the latest release of JDK 1.5, 1.5.0_16)
- upgrade Eclipse (worst approach, might require me to do a dev environment re-install)
 - upgrade Etch to latest packages (done that)
 - upgrade the nvidia driver (trying and failing).

I'm using "nv", so I thought I'd try the proprietary nvidia driver.

Following any of the methods on http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers just leads me down the same path to the point where I find "nvidia.ko failed to build" in the logs.

I'm using the stock kernel 2.6.26-bpo.1-686 from apt, and trying to get the nvidia-glx-legacy nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-kernel-legacy-2.6-686 packages from non-free to install, but using the instruction:

m-a auto-install nvidia

leads to the error "nvidia.ko failed build", as I mentioned above.

The other methods outlined on the wiki fail similarly.

The executable download directly from nvidia.com has the same problem.

Is this whole thing with the proprietary driver a bad idea or just something that won't work until I get lenny?

Thanks
Adam