Re: ping MAC address

Ter, 2008-10-07 às 19:24 +0200, Gilles Mocellin escreveu:
> Le Tuesday 07 October 2008 16:26:22 Achim Stumpf, vous avez écrit :
> > Ron Johnson schrieb:
> [...]
> > On etch this does not work. Does anyone know what's the story with arping
> > on etch?
> >
> > Options on etch:
> >
> > # arping
> > Usage: arping [-fqbDUAV] [-c count] [-w timeout] [-I device] [-s source]
> > destination -f : quit on first reply
> > [...]
>
> Attention !
> There is two different packages for arping : arping and iputils-arping.
>
> I had problems with redhat-cluster-suite and IP Failover when I had the wrong
> package here... It uses arping to inform the switchs of the IP failover.

Wikipedia[1] explains the difference between those 2. There is a arping
in Linux iproute2 package (debian package iputils-arping) that doesn't
handles MAC address and there is another implementation using libnet and
libpcap that does (debian package arping).

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arping
--
Paulo Silva <paulojjs@gmail.com>