Re: ping MAC address

Ron Johnson schrieb:
On 09/25/08 07:01, Achim Stumpf wrote:
Hi,

I have looked around, and I have found on the net that once arping could ping mac addresses, but it turns out that it is not possible anymore with newer version of arping.

Does anyone know a tool which is able to ping a mac address?

arping:

# arping 00:0D:60:D4:4B:52
arping: unknown host 00:0D:60:D4:4B:52

Works for me on Sid.

# arping -h
ARPing 2.08, by Thomas Habets <thomas@habets.pp.se>
[snip]

# arping -R -c 5 00:1E:E5:7A:5E:07
00:1e:e5:7a:5e:07
00:1e:e5:7a:5e:07
00:1e:e5:7a:5e:07
00:1e:e5:7a:5e:07
00:1e:e5:7a:5e:07

On etch this does not work. Does anyone know what's the story with arping on etch?

Options on etch:

# arping
Usage: arping [-fqbDUAV] [-c count] [-w timeout] [-I device] [-s source] destination
 -f : quit on first reply
 -q : be quiet
 -b : keep broadcasting, don't go unicast
 -D : duplicate address detection mode
 -U : Unsolicited ARP mode, update your neighbours