Re: sources.list to work with debians on a Fedora machine !

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 09:12:20PM -0700, NewDeb wrote:

> I am reposting this message and drawing attention to the fact that I am
> trying to do the apt-get and dpkg magic on a fedora box !
>
> I have installed dpkg and apt on my Fedora machine. What should my
> sources.list look so that I can use apt-get and dpkg ?
>
> I cant use statements like below because the "deb" is not understood on my
> machine. I had replaced it with rpms but then apt-get installs rpms and I
> want debians !
>
> "deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib
> deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib"
>
> Is there a way around this at all ? What should the sources.list look like ?
>
> Thanks,
> --

Fedora and Debian have different conventions as to where system files are placed on disk.
Every .deb file contains scripts that actually place files that are packed in the .deb in
the places where they belong, according to the debian convention and also expect to find
pre-existing files where they were placed be previous debian installs. It is very unlikely
to work on a Fedora machine. It certainly has not been tested in this environment by debian.
Debian people make no representation as to there skills at getting any program when running
it under Fedora. A straight forward reading of what you say you want to do is dangerous and
it would be madness to try, unless you simply want to screw up your machine.

If you want to install Debian on a computer that also has Fedora on it, I suggest that you
prepare an empty partition as the place where debain will reside. Then follow the directions
for a netinstall using that partition as target. You will have to be careful about exactly
what you do when the debian install script asks what to do about the 'other' system that it
finds on the disk. I don't remember what options it offers. When you get to that point, if
the options aren't obvious to you, post another request for help.

In the meantime, don't try to run apt-get or dpkg on a Fedora machine unless you are really
interested in screwing up your machine.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net