Re: Keeping more up to date than Lenny, safely?

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum
<bg271828@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi. Im running Lenny on two computers, and have been very happy with it. Nothings ever really been broken, so i dont think that a "stable"
> version is necessary for what i need.

Well, you might take a look at sidux, then. It's sid, but repackaged.
I have it running in a virtualbox guest - my main OS these days is
Ubuntu Hardy (used to be on lenny, but I switched in may when I went
to a 64 bit platform.)

> I dont really want to go "unstable"--the name alone scares me--but at the same time i read the release notes for the new Ubuntu beta, and its
> really nice. I *want* Gnome 2.24 (the auto XRandR thing is especially nice, ive always wanted multi-head but am

It might be OK - other than that bad e1000 bug, but that doesn't
bother me, as I have no e1000 hardware :). You might take a look at
intrepid - the beta is out. I also have that booting, but not yet
installed, in a virtual box. My plans are to wait until the end of
October and then do dist-upgrade (or do-release-upgrade, or whatever
the upgrade procedure is on Ubuntu).

>skeered to mess with my xorg.conf). I _want_ the new version of Network Manager. Etcetera.

I didn't bother with that when I upgraded. I copied the
/etc/network/interfaces and xorg.conf files from my working debian
lenny setup (well, kind of working - I had /var on a separate small
hard drive and my new motherboard only could hold 2 ide devices, and I
had three, so something had to get yanked).

> Is there any way to get this, but without the risk of the system breaking every other day? I dont want my life to be about managing the system,

I haven't actually ran sid, but I don't think there is any reason it
should break every day, but the upgrades come by pretty fast.

At least there is a buffer in lenny so that much gets triaged before
it can enter into testing from unstable (or is lenny actually stable
now?). Some packages sit waiting for things to get done from time to
time. I've run debian testing since about Nov 2006 - before it was
even Etch.