Re: exim4 authentication in etch?

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 02:10:53PM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> Chris Davies wrote:
>> Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
>>
>>> I wiped the hard drive, did a clean installation of etch, configured
>>> exim4, put the user:password in /etc/exim4/passwd.client and tried to
>>> send a message. [...]
>> It goes on to warn that the target must be the rDNS entry for the mail
>> server and offers suggestions how to get that right. It also warns about
>> setting the routing correctly.

Yes.

>> (I assume that a smarthost would override this, for example), but I
>> haven't tried it myself. Yet.

I do not understand what you try to do with smarthost.

The important point is "target must be the rDNS entry"

 See http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch07.en.html#theconfigurationofexime

 (This is part of new Debian Reference for lenny.
  http://wiki.debian.org/DebianReference)

> The line I put in passwd.client is,
> "outgoing.verizon.net:my-user-name:my-password", which is my
> understanding of the man page instructions.  I am attaching the tail of
> the mainlog entries which show exim4 obtained an IP address for
> outgoing.verizon.net.

The host name in /etc/exim4/passwd.client should not be the alias. You
check the real host name with:

 $ host outgoing.verizon.net

Then you know what to do.

cheers,