Re: Building a new desktop: hardware advice

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Asus M3A board
> http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1934&l1=3&l2=149&l3=592&l4=0
> (we need both IDE and SATA, as my current 500GB hard drives are IDE)

I haven't heard anything about AMD chipset compatibility, but without
any negative
reports, you can probably assume it works.

The GigE controller ought to be fine, and Atheros is one of the good guys now.

The Realtek ALC883 could present some problems. Google this: ALC883 ALSA

> One of these video cards:
> http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1720&l1=2&l2=6&l3=551&l4=0
> http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2&l2=8&l3=634&l4=0&model=2051&modelmenu=1
> I am leaning towards the second card because of the quiet fanless
> design, but I am a bit concerned about a fanless card. It also
> mentions OpenGL 2.0 compliance, which sounds good.

The GeForce should be OGL 2.0 as well, but I agree that you should look
at the Radeon. In my experience GFX card fans are a pain in the butt, and
while you can argue about which drivers are better right now (nv/nvidia vs
RadeonHD/fglrx), the fact is that the Radeon drivers are about to blow past
the Nvidia drivers like a cheetah passing a tortoise. And that will happen
because AMD/ATI is now friendly to FOSS, while Nvidia is not.

Of course Intel still has the absolute best drivers, and X series have
decent performance (outside of hardcore gaming). But you would have
to get a different MB and CPU for that.

> Optiarc AD-7200S DVD±RW sata DVD burner
> http://www.sonynec-optiarc.eu/en/exhibits/half-height-drives/ad-7200s

Disc drives shouldn't have any compatablity issues.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers