Re: automounting removable drives on multi-user systems

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 22:50:33 +0200, Hans Ekbrand wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:37:29AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On 09/30/08 10:08, Hans Ekbrand wrote:
> > >Hi fellow debian-user(s)
> > >
> > >My problem concerns auto-mounting of removable media on multi-user systems.
> > >
> > >What I want is a tool/some scripts that:
> > >
> > >Whenever a removable media[1] is inserted the user who is owning the
> > >active display [2], should automatically get the device mounted and a
> > >filebrowser should be launched on the mountpoint.

You can configure medium-specific (camera, audio CD, USB stick, etc.)
actions here:

Control Center > Peripherals > Storage Media

This is how KDE behaves by default: All possible actions are presented
as a pop-up menu to the user unless one of them is already configured to
be the "auto action". The pop-up menu has a "do this automatically from
now on" checkbox so that users can set the auto action without having to
mess around in the control center.

The auto action associated with "unmounted <media type>" will be
triggered when a newly-inserted medium of that particular type is
discovered (via hal/dbus). The auto action associated with "mounted
<media type>" will be triggered when the medium is mounted (usually
because the user has clicked the icon that appeared on the desktop when
the medium was inserted).

You can choose pre-defined actions such as "open in file browser" or
"play in media player", or you can add your own action definitions to
run scripts of your choice.

If you want to rely on ivman then you can configure "do nothing" as the
KDE auto action for all relevant media types.

[...]

> > KDE has it's own techniques for automounting.
>
> Can they be configured to only be active for the user who owns the
> active display?

AFAIK, the media-related actions are only active for the user who owns
the currently active KDE session. I never really tested this, though. I
would put a check for this into the mount > open file browser > unmount
script.

          Florian   |