Re: how to create an image of your debian computer hard drive for cloning

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 1:19 AM, Aniruddha <mailing_list@orange.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 14:18 -0400, David Clymer wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 1:11 PM, Robert Robert <robertrobert93@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > Dear All,
>> > I was wondering how I could make a clone or image of my computer hard disk
>> > that contains debian OS. I want to do this in order to make an exact copy to
>> > another clean pc with no os at all. What complete free software can I use
>> > for this ? Is there a manual some where on the net about this ?
>>
>> I highly recommend Clonezilla-live. it makes cloning to/from any sort
>> of storage very simple. You can clone to an attached usb drive, to a
>> network drive via nfs, samba, or ssh. (http://www.clonezilla.org/)
>>

> Clonezilla uses partimage which I haven't found too reliable. I still
> prefer to tar /. It works perfectly every time.

tar doesn't solve the problem of making a *real* copy of the HDD. It
only makes a backup of the files that a particular user can read.

I've always been using dd for this task, but ofcourse like someone
else mentioned, I always have a bootable livecd available to dd the
image back to the hdd.

--
Sharninder
http://nomadicrider.com/