Re: Dell Raid

On 8-sep-2008, at 13:28, Lubos Vrbka wrote:

Hallo Jungs,
Servus!

debian-user ist ein english-sprachiges Maillist.
ich habe einen Dell Optiplex 755 mit Intel Raid on Board. Leider wird das Raid in der Minimalen Debian instal. nicht erkannt. Sind bei der Vollversion
über 3 DVD`s mehr Raidtreiber mit dabei?

<snippage>

i don't know whether your RAID controller does not get recognized, or the the drives (sata controller) themselves. if only the former is the case (try disabling the raid in bios), why wouldn't you use the software raid capability of linux? it seems to me that the on board raid controller might be 'fake-raid' anyway.

maybe somebody at this list with more experience will be able to provide more help.

You can use dmraid to recognize these 'fakeraid' or 'sataraid' devices. It's possible to even boot from them, but it's highly experimental... In debian the lenny installer seems to support it (never tried it myself though) You start the lenny installer with 'install dmraid=true'

There's some info on: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/SataRaid

I've simply set my fakeraid card (promise fasttrack) to JBOD and use software raid. Works fine.

Good luck,

Peter