Re: Mutt Mail to List Fails

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 06:00:12PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 10:39:04 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > Again sending from iceape.
> >
> > I tried Florian's suggestion to set
> > smtp_url="smtp[s]://USER:PASSWORD@outgoing.verizon.net" both with and
> > without the entries for USER and PASSWORD and also without the portion
> > smtp[s]://.  Regardless of which form I used mutt responded "not a valid
> > url" and displayed everything within the quotes.
>
> Maybe this is a simple misunderstanding: The brackets in "smtp[s]://"
> mean that the (second) "s" is optional, i.e. you should use either
> "smtps://" or "smtp://", depending on whether you use smtp over ssl
> (port 465) or plain smtp (port 25). For the smarthost of an ISP which
> you contact from "outside" it will almost certainly be smtps (unless
> your ISP has really weird ideas about security).
>
> Judging from your version of iceape you seem to be running Lenny or even
> Sid, so your Mutt should support smtp_url.
>
> --
> Regards,            | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
>           Florian   |

I made the correction to the smtp_url entry and tried it both with and
without the USER:PASSWORD.  In both cases the url was accepted but then
timed out.  Mutt never asked for the user or passwork when this was
omitted.  Frustrating, it seems this should work.

I commented out the url line and made the additions suggested by Andrei.
These did work and I am sending this from mutt.

Tom