Re: Mutt Mail to List Fails

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 10:39:04 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> Again sending from iceape.
>
> I tried Florian's suggestion to set
> smtp_url="smtp[s]://USER:PASSWORD@outgoing.verizon.net" both with and
> without the entries for USER and PASSWORD and also without the portion
> smtp[s]://.  Regardless of which form I used mutt responded "not a valid
> url" and displayed everything within the quotes.

Maybe this is a simple misunderstanding: The brackets in "smtp[s]://"
mean that the (second) "s" is optional, i.e. you should use either
"smtps://" or "smtp://", depending on whether you use smtp over ssl
(port 465) or plain smtp (port 25). For the smarthost of an ISP which
you contact from "outside" it will almost certainly be smtps (unless
your ISP has really weird ideas about security).

Judging from your version of iceape you seem to be running Lenny or even
Sid, so your Mutt should support smtp_url.

          Florian   |