Re: [OT] moving out to a new /home

Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My main desktop is an amd64 running Debian with 2GB RAM and 160GB
> disc, about to burst with all the stuff i have in /home. I can clean
> it up a bit but i'll just delay the issue. I can also repartition,
> since / is only taking up 25% of its space and i don't use the XP
> partition anyway.
>
> My test box is an old Compaq Armada laptop - no battery, no monitor, a
> piece of junk. But works, with 96RAM running Open BSD. I use it to
> serve http and ssh at the moment, and maybe ftp in the future. Being a
> laptop it uses less power and the fan is more silent. I'm inclined to
> having it working 24/7, however, it only has a 4GB disc.
>
> What i'm thinking about is finding a big 2.5" IDE and use that laptop
> not only as my server toy but also as my /home, that way i can share
> its contents through the home network to the other pcs. The desktop
> would mount it at startup (NFS?), they're connected through the home
> router. Alternatively i could find a way to adapt the 3.5" 160GB SATA
> to the laptop but i think that's unlikely. The laptop only has USB
> 1.0.
>
> Are there any big hard drive limitations or is creating a small /boot
> partition at the start of the disk enough?
> Any other suggestions?
>
> TIA

Hi,

Why are you trying to move your home to a remote location while you can upgrade
your internal disk? You can just clone it with "dd" to a bigger disk and
move/resize its partitions while you are booted from your old disk (gparted is a
fellow friend in this situation)? I've successfully cloned my home PC to a new
disk twice, once for a disk upgrade and once to office when I messed up my
debian installation there. In both occasions I've booted it up and continued to
work without any problems (I needed to erase hal device database to get my eth0
at office but it's not in scope of this topic).

Alternatively, you can buy a new bigger disk and use for big file storage or
just for home. Just copy the home there and change the mountpoint. Remote
storage is only painful and more painful on older hardware.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Hakan