Re: Do Debian's users care about the AGPL?

On Tue,02.Sep.08, 17:52:57, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

[...]

> Do Debian's users care about this sort of legal geekery or is
> everything fine as long as AGPLed programs go into non-free?

Freeness is not the main reason I stay with Debian, but it is important
(currently I have around 20 non-free+multimedia packages installed,
including nvidia driver and firmware for my wireless card).

Also as an contribution to the discussion of GPL vs. AGPL, in my
oppinion we have two different use cases:

* classic programs
- Author writes a spreadsheet program
- some company customizes the program and ads support for a proprietary
  file format
  o uses it internally
  o sell it for revenue

The GPL works fine here because whenever the company tries to generate
some revenue of their changes they will have to publish the sources
(making the file format non proprietary). For webapps the situation is a
bit different:

* webapps
- Author writes a spreadsheet program
- some company customizes the program and ads support for an own
  proprietary file format, but they will most likely:
  o put it up on own servers to generate revenue rather then
  o sell it to other service providers

By using GPL in this scenario, people accessing the service will find
themselves locked-in due to the proprietary file format, while with the
AGPL everybody has a chance to implement support for it.

Also, reading the archives of debian-legal it seems to me the biggest
concern is whether the requirement of providing the source doesn't put a
too high *financial* burden (ex. hosting, bandwidth, etc. costs) on
providers of AGPL webapps.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)