Re: security risk of having a long list of services in inetd

Hi,

2008/8/30 Paul Dufresne <dufresnep@gmail.com>:
> 2008/8/30 Thomas Weinbrenner <thomas@thomas-weinbrenner.de>:
> Well, it is more than just a name. man inetd says:

It's simply the information that says:

smtp is on port 25
ssh is on port ...

nothing more nothing less.

It depends on inetd (and only inetd) wether to use this information
and how to use this information. There are btw. different inetd
servers available I'm too lazy right now to check up for but at least
openbsd-inetd and xinetd should be there. I vaguely remember some
inetd that insisted on only accepting services being configured if
they were listed in /etc/services - the chance of my brain lying to me
right now isn't that unrealistic so you might want to check that.

If you insist on making your /etc/services file tell that "ssh is on
port 2022" that is totally up to you but I wouldn't recommend it,
afaik the listings in there are standardized port numbers.

hth
martin

--
http://www.xing.com/profile/Martin_Marcher

You are not free to read this message,
by doing so, you have violated my licence
and are required to urinate publicly. Thank you.