[slightly OT] modifying Emacs html helper mode

Emacs's html-helper-mode is seriously out of date vis-a-vis current html standards. It is my intention to modify the cookies to bring them up to html4.01 or xhtml1.0 recommendations, and current best practice.

There are areas where I need guidance.

The Debian Emacs packages install the file(s) already byte compiled. Is this from unmodified source from the mode maintainer's version as available on the home site, and would there be any issues if it isn't?

Does this test procedure seem complete/safe enough?
     mv ./html-helper-mode.elc html-helper-mode.elc.orig
     cp ~/hhm/html-helper-mode.el ./html-helper-mode.el
     Take a run through all the cookies.

Would it be out of line to post a link to my mods for d-u members to test?

cheers,

gary
--
Anyone can make a usable web site. It takes a graphic
designer to make it slow, confusing and painful to use.