Re: automounting in xfce

John O Laoi wrote:

> Thanks for the help.
>

> I am having problems installing the package thunar-volman.
>
> This is a package management problem, at which I am no expert!
>

> The package is not available on etch, but is on the list of packages for
> sid:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/thunar-volman
>

> However, when I issue
>
> # aptitude show -t sid thunar-volman
>
> I get
>
> E: Unable to locate package thunar-volman

That is because you do not have the sid repositories listed in your sources.list.

However, the thunar-volman package requires Thunar version 0.5.1 or later, and
the Etch Thunar is only at 0.4.0.

You could try installing Thunar from the etch-backports (it has version 0.9.0)
and then installing thunar-volman from Lenny. To do that you need to add
backports and testing repository lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib

then do:

apt-get uninstall thunar
apt-get -t etch-backports install thunar
apt-get -t lenny install thunar-volman

If that doesn't work, or is too much trouble, there are other automounting
solutions you can look into. For example, ivman is in etch:
http://ivman.sourceforge.net/

Hope that helps,
- Chris