Re: automounting in xfce

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 07:22:46AM +0100, John O Laoi wrote:
> Thanks for the help.

I've looked into this a bit more. You're running etch. etch's thunar
does not depend on, and probably can't use
thunar-volman. http://packages.debian.org/etch/thunar tells us that it
suggests hal and pmount. This is likely what handles automounting for
thunar. You should make sure these are installed. That's all the
advice I have onthis problem, though, as I'm badly out of date on xfce.

>  I am having problems installing the package thunar-volman.
>
> This is a package management problem, at which I am no expert!
>

>  The package is not available on etch, but is on the list of packages for
> sid:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/thunar-volman
>

>  However, when I issue
>
> # aptitude show -t sid thunar-volman
>
> I get
>
> E: Unable to locate package thunar-volman

you don't have any sid sources in your sources.list. To get sid
packages, you'd have to add a sid source and then do aptitude
update. *BUT* I'm not advocating that *at all*. Don't do it. Use etch
backports to get packages that aren't in etch. until you have better
knowledge of debian systems, mixing sid with etch is a bad idea.