Re: no network connection

Hi

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Shachar Or <dawnlight@lavabit.com> wrote:
On Wednesday 20 August 2008 22:33, Ed Sutter wrote:
> Hi,
> I have Debian 4.0 on a machine now for 2 days.
> Thanks to this list, my screen resolution problem is
> resolved.  Next (and hopefully last) problem is that
> each time I boot the system I have to manually enable
> my network connection.  When Gnome starts up, I see in
> the top of the screen a small ethernet cable icon with
> a big NOT sign  (red circle with a slash
> through it) over top of it.  I right-click on that and
> a pull-down menu allows me to enable my wired network.
> Then everything is fine.
>
> How can I fix this so that the network just comes up automatically?
> Couldn't find anything on this in the archives or in the GUI.

I don't know about the GNOME desktop. For systems with static network
configuration (one that doens't change, unlike laptops) it would be advisable
to use the ifupdown package. Check out the documentation
in /usr/share/doc/ifupdown .

> Thanks
> Ed

Shachar might have a point there. The icon you see in the tray is nm-applet, which talks to the network-manager daemon. Network Manager only takes control of interfaces that are set with allow-hotplug. If your interface was previously set up with auto, Network Manager will ignore it by default.

Check your /etc/network/interfaces . My eth0 entry looks like this:

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

If you want Network Manager, your interfaces file should look similar to mine above.

Cheers,
Cassiano Leal