no network connection

Hi,
I have Debian 4.0 on a machine now for 2 days.
Thanks to this list, my screen resolution problem is
resolved.  Next (and hopefully last) problem is that
each time I boot the system I have to manually enable
my network connection.  When Gnome starts up, I see in
the top of the screen a small ethernet cable icon with
a big NOT sign  (red circle with a slash
through it) over top of it.  I right-click on that and
a pull-down menu allows me to enable my wired network.
Then everything is fine.

How can I fix this so that the network just comes up automatically?
Couldn't find anything on this in the archives or in the GUI.

Thanks
Ed