Re: hibernate s2ram so that I could sleep well

Shachar Or wrote:
Hi!

I've moved my desktop to my room, where I sleep at night and it is very close to the floor and to my head (I sleep on the floor (not directly, of course)) so the little noise made by the large silent fans is too much.

I am thinking of suspending it at night because I don't like the time it takes to boot up. I'd like it straight up when I press the button.

I've installed the hibernate package and the uswsusp package and vbetool and made dash my /bin/sh.

By default, the hibernate script tries to s2disk before s2ram. This works as expected; I only had to configure the /etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf a bit.

When I try to make hibernate use s2ram, it seems to really suspend to ram (very quickly, I can only see the suspending progress bar for a split second) and the computer seems to either get suspended or turned off (how can I tell?)

When I press the power button the fans go on and the monitors turn on but they stay black and nothing seems to do anything. Not <Alt>+<Ctrl>+<Delete>, not typing in 'shutdown -r now', etc. so there's a bug in the process.

This is as far as I know how to go on my own. Help?

Some ouputs are attached.

Good night!

Since I use this only on a laptop, I can't provide input regarding your problems.

But, I can tell you that, with suspend to RAM, there is still power going to some subsystems, specifically USB, on the laptop. I have a laptop cooling pad, powered from the USB bus, and it continues to run after suspend to RAM completes.

--
Bob McGowan