Re: hibernate s2ram so that I could sleep well

Shachar Or wrote:
Hi!

I've moved my desktop to my room, where I sleep at night and it is very close to the floor and to my head (I sleep on the floor (not directly, of course)) so the little noise made by the large silent fans is too much.

I am thinking of suspending it at night because I don't like the time it takes to boot up. I'd like it straight up when I press the button.

I've installed the hibernate package and the uswsusp package and vbetool and made dash my /bin/sh.

By default, the hibernate script tries to s2disk before s2ram. This works as expected; I only had to configure the /etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf a bit.

When I try to make hibernate use s2ram, it seems to really suspend to ram (very quickly, I can only see the suspending progress bar for a split second) and the computer seems to either get suspended or turned off (how can I tell?)

What mother board do you have? Does it have an ACPI compliant power LED, i.e., on my ASUS A8N-SLI Premium the power LED flashes when the machine has successfully suspended to RAM.

What graphics card are you using? You mentioned tweaking hibernate.conf and having vbetool installed. Did you enable vbetool in the /etc/hibernate/ram.conf script?

Have you tried manually issuing the s2ram commands? Look at http://en.opensuse.org/S2ram for the command line options. There might be some trial and error involved.

When I press the power button the fans go on and the monitors turn on but they stay black and nothing seems to do anything. Not <Alt>+<Ctrl>+<Delete>, not typing in 'shutdown -r now', etc. so there's a bug in the process.

This is as far as I know how to go on my own. Help?

I was, only just recently, able to get the ASUS board to successfully suspend using s2ram -f, but only after I removed the module ohci-hcd. I might need to update the boards BIOS to the latest version. I'm still researching.

That's as much as I know now...