Re: State of 64bit desktop

kj <koffiejunkielistlurker@koffiejunkie.za.net> writes:

> At work I'm starting to push the limits of my RAM with MySQL/InnoDB on
> my workstation (I do dev/testing on my workstation).  I have 64bit
> hardware, capable of taking 8gb memory.

I know what you mean. I recently bumped my machine up to 12 GB and
it's already full.

> What I'm worried about is the tools I use.  In particular, I need a
> browser with all the usual suspects working properly: flash and java
> (unfortunately some of the tools I need to use at work are written in
> these abominable languages).  Does anyone do heavy java and flash
> usage under 64bit Debian (I'm running Lenny)?  One tool in particular
> I'm forced to use is the Raritan KVM interface.  It's horrible.

I'm using etch. I did find one HOWTO on 64-bit Debian that had the
quick way and the slow way. The quick way failed to handle flash.
Until the slow way becomes a quick way, it's a non-starter.

Fortunately, I'd only need flash if I were goofing off, and everything
else we use is 64-bit, so I get along fine. I'm using the
sun-java6-jdk package from non-free and it works fine with the Java
apps that I use: Eclipse, Squirrel, iReport, MATLAB, etc. Not to
mention compile and run the Kepler apps we're developing at NASA.
(Fortunately, these are all written in Java. :-)

If I'm hearing folks correctly, is 32-bit flash running out of the box
on 64-bit lenny now? If it's not running out of the box, could someone
please post a link to a HOWTO? Thanks!