Re: pci-to-parallel vs usb-to-parallel?

Mike Fontenot wrote:
My new PC doesn't have a parallel port on the back (or anywhere else),
and I need one for my HP1200 B/W laser printer.  I've seen inexpensive
PCI cards that have one or two parallel ports, and also some cables that
convert between USB and parallel.  Any advice on which of these
alternatives is likely to give me the least trouble getting printing to
work (with etch or lenny)?

	Mike Fontenot

The absolute least trouble would seem be to get the PCI card, since it will use "standard" chips that will work, out of the box, with Linux. But the USB is easier, since you just need to plug it in, no opening the case with associated potential for breaking something physically. And USB to parallel support should not be an issue, though I'm no expert on that aspect.

Other issues to consider:

How many PCI slots are available? Will there be a need for other PCI cards, now or in the future? The answer here may indicate the USB route is better, as it conserves PCI slots for future use.

Speed over USB will be limited to the PP port speed at max but could be impacted by other devices on the USB bus, if there are any.

If it were me, I'd factor in the cost, as well. If they were close, I'd probably choose the USB interface path, mostly due to not needing to open the chassis to implement it.

--
Bob McGowan