Re: [Fwd: Re: No sound problems on Intel board]

On Wednesday 13 August 2008 16:26, Frank McCormick wrote:

> Nigel Henry wrote:

> |>  0 [ICH5           ]: ICH4 - Intel ICH5
> |>                       Intel ICH5 with AD1985 at irq 17

> |>   Nope. Nothing is muted.
> |
> | Hi Frank. I should have realised that all the above output would be
>
> ok, when a
>
> | couple of posts back, you said that aplay was working ok.
> |
> | Did you run aplay as user, or root?
>
> ~  As a user. I am still in audio group.
>
> ~  I have since discovered SOME of the problem is caused by
> audacious...which not only doesn't play..but sits quietly sucking up
> 100% cpu. I have filed a bug.
>

> Cheers
>
> Frank

Not using Sid, and wondering if pulseaudio may have been installed as a new
package to your Sid install as part of the updates, I changed
my /etc/apt/sources.list in Lenny to point to unstable, ran apt-get update,
apt-get dist-upgrade (without doing the upgrade), but saw no mention of
pulseaudio being installed as a new package.

Of course, if you had already installed pulseaudio on your Sid install, it is
possible that there may have been an update to it, which may have caused your
sound to "hit the fan" . Saying that though, perhaps with pulseaudio
installed, even aplay would not have worked (not sure on that).

I don't have pulseaudio installed on my Lenny install, and from experiencing
it on a Fedora 8 install, where my sound no longer worked, I quickly disabled
it, and have no intention of using it on Lenny, or anything else for that
matter.

Have you tried other audio apps apart from audacious since the sound problems?
I use Mhwaveedit for playing sound files, and it's available from the Debian
repo's. I'm not sure what the default is for audio out, but if you try it,
look in Edit/preferences/sound, and driver options.

If by some obscure chance you do have pulseaudio installed, you can disable it
by removing the package, alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, and if you're using KDE, as
I am, this will also remove the package kde-settings-pulseaudio.

Just a couple of thoughts Frank, as it's horrible when you use sounds a lot,
then suddenly they are no more.

All the best, and have a nice weekend.

Nigel.