Re: hard drive problem [SOLVED - possibly]

Adam Hardy on 07/08/08 10:25, wrote:
Adam Hardy on 06/08/08 01:26, wrote:
Brian McKee on 06/08/08 00:30, wrote:
On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com>
wrote:
Forsaken on 05/08/08 19:25, wrote:
On Aug 5, 2008, at 10:51 AM, Adam Hardy wrote:
I just took the hard drives from one machine and installed them into another with a similar 500MHz CPU and mobo, but it hasn't worked out smoothly.
fsck.ext3: no such file or directory while trying to read
/dev/hdc1 /dev/hdc1: the superblock could not be read or does not
describe a correct ext2 filesystem

/dev/hda6: clean, 11/3424256 files 151509/6839665 blocks

fsck died with exit status 8 failed (code 8)

If you type fdisk /dev/hdc1 and then press P, does it see the drive size correctly or does it complain to you about accessing the device?
fdisk /dev/hdc1

==>

unable to open /dev/hdc1

If however I enter fdisk /dev/hda1 then it gives me a whole paragraph about the hard drive having more than 1024 cylinders, the partition table
 contains no entries, and there is a message stating

What does just fdisk -l show?  Is it really at hdc ?

It shows /dev/hda and /dev/hdb (the cdrom).

Today the problem with the 750Gb drive is over - at least temporarily.

I booted up the machine and the system sees the hard drive.

In /etc/fstab yesterday, I re-assigned the drive letters to satisfy my sense of correctness. Previously, the cdrom was /dev/hdb but I swapped that over to /dev/hdc and made /dev/hdc1 into /dev/hdb1. However that had no impact yesterday - it would still boot into the administrative shell (or however it is called when the boot sequence is interrupted).

Perhaps it just needed one more boot to write something and then it was fixed. But the old drive mapping with the cdrom on /dev/hdb had been fine for the last year in the other machine.

So I anticipate that it will all go belly up some time soon.
[snip]

\Today the problem with the 750Gb drive is over - at least temporarily.

I booted up the machine and the system sees the hard drive.

In /etc/fstab yesterday, I re-assigned the drive letters to satisfy my sense of correctness. Previously, the cdrom was /dev/hdb but I swapped that over to /dev/hdc and made /dev/hdc1 into /dev/hdb1. However that had no impact yesterday - it would still boot into the administrative shell (or however it is called when the boot sequence is interrupted).

Perhaps it just needed one more boot to write something and then it was fixed. But the old drive mapping with the cdrom on /dev/hdb had been fine for the last year in the other machine.

So I anticipate that it will all go belly up some time soon.

Thanks for the help anyway,

That sounds like udev screwing with you then. I've seen more than one instance of I work on a set of drives in one machine, and it tags the ethernet interfaces as eth0 and eth1. Then when I move the drives into their permanent home, it tags them as eth2 and eth3, without seeing eth0 and eth1 present in the machine anymore (and this is moving from the exact same hardware to the exact same hardware).

For the record.