Re: What is the best way to manage 3rd party debs?

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 20:44 -0300, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Aniruddha <mailing_list@orange.nl> [2008.08.12.2023 -0300]:
> > If I understand your correctly I can install  deb from any 3rd party provider without fear of b0rking my system. If this is true I don't understand why you warn
> > against checkinstall.
>
> checkinstall is used to create deb files and it's broken.
>
> If you install a third party deb, you should inspect its contents
> exactly to make sure it doesn't touch files in /etc. Also check the
> hooks. If there are no problems, then it's probably safe.

Thanks, I'm beginning to understand now. To make it more concrete I've
written down what I think is the correct procedure to check deb files:

1) Run 'dpkg-deb -e *.deb' and read postinst, postrm, preinst, prerm to
check if it contains the sentence '/etc'.

2) Run 'dpkg-deb -x *.deb' and check if doesn't overwrite anything in
' /etc' (or other important locations).

Is this correct? Thanks!

--
Regards,