Re: What is the best way to manage 3rd party debs?

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 18:04 -0300, martin f krafft wrote:
> If a checkinstall created package somehow modifies a file (like
> /etc/passwd) during the installation, then that file will be removed
> when the package is deinstalled. I think that was the only real
> problem with checkinstall.

If you don't mind I quote from your own book ^^

> > checkinstall is limited in what it can do. To be precise, the
> packages it creates can only install files, and checkinstall does not
> care where it installs them. You  can overwrite files in home
> directories with checkinstall, among other things.

I wonder what you recommend as the best way to install 3rd party debs
(such as cedega, nero, barry)? What is a safe way to install them
without risk of b0rking my system) ?

If it was up to me I'd install them as a local user in my home folder
just as I do with source packages and other binaries. But afaik this
isn't possible.

Or are there things I should pay attention to when inspecting a deb
file? Are there telltale signs a deb file can cause trouble? Thanks in
advance.

--
Regards,

Aniruddha