Re: Using Logitech Quickcam on Debian 4.0

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 06:42:11PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> Okay.
>
> Running m-a a-i qc-usb might have been easy, but it does not result in
> an application that I can run.

no. it just builds the drivers.

> I still do not have an application that runs on Debian 4.0, that will
> allow me to record video with sound, from the Logitech QuickCam
> Communicate STX.

I've lost track of the beginning of this thread, but on the assumption
that the driver works and provides appropriate devices, there are a
number of programs that would capture video. What have you tried? I
suspect that at a minimum, ffmped and mendcoder could do it and there
are surely others.

> So, I booted the laptop into Windows XP, and installed the software that
> came with the webcam, and got that running, but the video files that
> that creates, are only in the .wmv file format, and the only application
> that I have on Debian 4.0, that can read .wmv files, is xine, and,
> whilst that plays the sound, it does things to the video component, that
> are like what I imagine an acid trip to be like; kind of like a "Lucy in
> the sky with diamonds" kind of thing.
>
> If I cannot run the webcam with Debian 4.0, to record videoclips, does a
> converter exist for Debian 4.0, that can convert .wmv files into .mpeg
> files, so that the files cam be platform independent?

I believe mencoder can do this. man mencoder.