Re: Using Logitech Quickcam on Debian 4.0

On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 11:37:47AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Aug 2008, Shachar Or wrote:
>

>>> there is both a gspca-source and gspca-modules-... packages. IIRC, the
>>> spca5xx is being replaced upstream...
>>
>> All this talk about spca... Isn't there a quickcam specific driver? I know
>> there is... qc-usb-source is the package. I used for some logitech quickcam
>> some time ago.
>>>

> That's what I thought, when I was reading the list of packages found by
> Synaptic, when I searched for webcam.
>
> However, ... we are all of differing levels of Debian system
> administration competency, and I rely on packages being "ready to go" -
> either using Synaptic to download and install a package, and then
> expecting for it to be ready to use, or, using apt-get install, or,
> downloading a package and using dpkg -i . But, not having to compile and
> build a package.
>
> I found
> "The qc-usb-source package is a skeleton for creating a kernel module
> to drive Logitech's QuickCam Express webcam and other webcams with
> similar chipsets."
> and
> "qc-usb-utils
> Utility programs for the qc-usb kernel module
> Utilities to tweak paramters of your QuickCam Express or similar
> webcam. These programs are completely useless without a
> qc-usb-modules package."
>
> That sounds like that needs a kernel build to use - much too advanced
> for me.

no no not at all. you can use module assistant, I'd bet.I just
checked, it is one of the packages you can build with
module-assistant.

at a minimum, you can do:

aptitude install module-assistant
m-a update
m-a prepare
m-a a-i qc-usb

if all goes well, you'll be done.

module-assistant also has a curses interface you can play with. Be
sure to check out /usr/share/doc/module-assistant/HOWTO

it's very easy.