Re: APT recommendations/suggestions not obvious

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 5:35 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> TTBOMK, neither apt/aptitude/synaptics stores explicit "this is why package
> A is recommended" data.  If it did, I'd immediately convert to that app.

In times like these, then aptitude why or whynot may be useful. I've
only used it a few times, and if I choose a package at random, I might
get a terse line like "bash suggests bash-doc" if I do 'aptitude why
bash-doc' or nothing at all other than "the package is manually
installed for something like gwenview-kde4.