Re: why can't I update libg2c0 [was: Re: don't really need cpp-3.4, do I?]

David Witbrodt wrote:

hmm ... just took another look at the package descriptions. It seems that the problem is libg2c0. How come this still depends on an older version of gcc-3.4.6? I link some of my programs with some FORTRAN libraries and need libg2c0. So for now I have been keeping gcc-3.4 at its older version during every upgrade. So, what's the deal with libg2c0?

Looks like support for the old legacy compilers is reaching its end of life:

You might consider transitioning to something newer, if possible.

Ah, right. I went over the bug report and I must say the original submitter has a valid point.

I am currently using this compiler to interface my C++ code with some FORTRAN libraries which I compile only occasionally. Looks like using gfortran for that might possible give problems or be noisy.

So, based no this, I am going to hold gcc-3.4.6 for now.

Thanks for the pointer, it cleared up my aptitude doubts perfectly.

->HS