Re: when debian run out of memory

On 08/07/2008 10:18 PM, hhding.gnu wrote:
Hi list,

When debian run out of memory, I can only ping the host and can't ssh to the host.
It seems oom-killer is running but memory is still exhaust.

What should I do then? Only reboot can solve the problem?
Can I protect oom-killer from kill the sshd then I can ssh to the box to kill the process?

Ding Honghui

If you have either the Linux source¹ or the Linux documents² installed, please read ./Documentation/vm/overcommit-accounting to find out how to configure the overcommit feature of Linux.

AFAIK, when the oom-killer is invoked, almost any process can end up being the victim, and the system can rapidly reach a state of uselessness.

¹ Package linux-source-2.6
² Package linux-doc-2.6