Re: Benefits (and risks) of using Sid

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 14:09:34 +0100
andy <geek_show@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> This is just a general enquiry about the benefits of using Sid on a
> desktop or a workstation. Aside from obtaining up-to-the-minute software
> (and related patches), are there any other benefits to using Sid? I am
> aware of the risks - i.e. frequently broken applications - but to be
> honest, how often does this happen?
>
> Any thoughts (no flames please - I recycled my asbestos suit!!)

Recently, I was hit by this:

I do use apt-listbugs, but I missed this anyhow; I'm not sure why.
Perhaps I upgraded before it was reported.  In any event, my system
broke badly; I can function without X, but it's difficult to
troubleshoot without networking.  Here is my panicky plea for help on
the list:

Note that I was lucky to receive a very prompt pointer to the problem
from Sven Joachim, which illustrates another point about using Sid;
this list is an invaluable resource, as is the BTS.

> Andy

Celejar