dhclient: no offers

  Hi,

My laptop is a Dell XPS M1530. Its network card is a "Marvell Yukon 88E8040". According to the "lspci" command, the system seems to be detecting successfully the network card:

[
Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 12)"
]

In accordance with other people who also have the same laptop, the driver which should be used is the "sky2" (SysKonnect Yukon2). I compiled it into the kernel and the "dmesg" command shows that it's being loaded successfully.

[
sky2 eth0: addr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
sky2 eth0: enabling interface
sky2 eth0: Link is up at 10 Mbps, half duplex, flow control none
]

May be I should test the driver "sk98lin". It's the driver which you can download from the Marvell homepage. At this point I've a little question: Should I compile again the kernel and set the sky2 as a module in order to be able to use the "sk98lin" driver?

In any case, this morning my network card got an IP from the DHCP server. The first time it got the IP immediately. Later I had to turn off my computer and when I switched it on again I had to attempt it three times (run three times the dhclient). I really don't know whether it's normal or not. Maybe it's has to do with the broadcast packages. I can't remember well but I read a log message which requested me to read about it.

  Anyhow, *a lot of thanks* for your replies.

Antegallya escribió:
Hi,
Mind saying what module, exactly and where you got it from?
Sorry, I have a broadcom 4311 rev 1 and from an old install I was
using the ndiswrapper module, I've switched to b43 from the debian/
testing repository (I'm gently switching from unstable to testing).

Antonio Diaz,
Maybe could you give us your card's name with lspci ?

Regards

______________________________________________ LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo. Llamadas a fijos y móviles desde 1 céntimo por minuto. http://es.voice.yahoo.com