Re: need sarge

Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@2008.43-1.org>:
>  Vwaju <lou@manhattanhandyman.com> writes:
> >
> > I downloaded Contents-i386.gz from http://ftp.debian.org/dists/sarge/.
> >
> > As I understand it, this is not an archive, but a single compressed
> > file.  I gunzipped it, which yields an 111MB file.
> >
> > I am not sure what I have now.  If this is sarge, how do I install it?
>
>  This file is used by apt.  Normally there is no need to look at it
>  yourself.
>
>  You can get Debian Sarge from [1] (as I already said in [2]).  Please
>  remember that there are no security updates provided since end of
>  March 2008 [3], and thus you should (at least) not offer services on a
>  public network.
>
>  [1] http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/debian-installer/
>  [2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2008/08/msg00042.html
>  [3] http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/

For the archives:

   install sarge    # [1]
   edit /etc/apt/sources.list to include etch  # s/sarge/etch/g
                                               # s/stable/testing/g

                                               # think before doing!
                                               #
                                               # Aiiiieeeee!

   root> apt-get update && apt-get install aptitude && aptitude update \
            && aptitude upgrade && aptitude dist-upgrade && aptitude
            install jackd rosegarden emacs gkrellm fluxbox ...

Make sure you're having fun.  It's important.