Re: 2.6.24-4 kernel not booting

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 06:36:18PM -0400, Michael Habashy wrote:
> i appriciate your help.
> i am not new to linux but i am new to lvm and raid and recovery.
> if you give  me some simple steps, i can follow.
> i would really like the help because my main ssystem is down.
> please provide step by step proceedure..to ensure that i get my system
> up and running.
> can you point me to a how-to or something ??

sorry, I totally cut myself off in the last mail...

as I was saying, within grub, you can edit the boot commands. There
*should* be some backup initrd's you could try. From the grub menu
type 'e' for edit, then (doing this from memory) arrow down to the
initrd line and type 'e' to edit the line. Next, move to the end of
the line and delete your way back to the point where it says

initrd /initrd.img

and press tab a couple of times to get a tab-completion list of
available initrd's. review the list and find the one foro your
kernel. it should be initd.img-2.6.24-something... there should be one
with a .bak extension... that's the one to try and see if it will
boot.

please report back on the results