> Not shown: 65529 closed ports
> PORT      STATE SERVICE
> 22/tcp    open  ssh
> 25/tcp    open  smtp
> 80/tcp    open  http
> 443/tcp   open  https
> 3306/tcp  open  mysql
> 12121/tcp open  unknown
>

> But when I run nmap from my home machine to scan it remotely, I see these
> extra ports are open:
>
> Not shown: 65524 closed ports
> PORT      STATE    SERVICE
> 22/tcp    open     ssh
> 25/tcp    open     smtp
> 80/tcp    open     http
> 443/tcp   open     https
> 1720/tcp  filtered H.323/Q.931
> 3306/tcp  open     mysql
> 6666/tcp  filtered irc
> 6667/tcp  filtered irc
> 6668/tcp  filtered irc
> 6669/tcp  filtered irc
> 12121/tcp open     unknown
>
> So I have 1720, 6666, 6667, 6668 and 6669 open and nmap is ignoring them.
> Isn't that conclusive evidence that nmap on the suspected machine is some
> hacker's version?

filtered != open

       Filtered means that a firewall, filter,
       or other network obstacle is blocking the port so that Nmap cannot tell whether
       it is open or closed. -- man nmap

The only unusual thing here is that port 12121. netstat -p can probably
tell you what program is listening on that port. (Well, I don't know why
you have a SQL server listening for connections from the outside world
either.)

--
see shy jo