Re: [Kind of OT] Why's this look like gibberish to me?

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 01:31:28PM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/5/6 Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz>:
> >> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-נ-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
> >
> > I am running an UTF-8 locale and the above still like gibberish.
> >

> Thank you, that is actually very important information for me. I know
> that you don't know Hebrew, but page
> http://gibberish.co.il/encoding.html has examples of different types
> of gibberish. If you could post your locale info and tell me which
> image on the page looks like the gibberish you receive, or better yet
> send a screenshot of what you see, then it may help me help others in
> the future. Thanks!
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-נ-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

Changing to "Uni3-TerminusBold16" (from terminus-console) alters the
above line to look like diamonds.

Since the linux console can only display alphabetic characters, and
Hebrew probably looks like a lot of "squiggles", then I very much doubt
it is possible to see any Hebrew in the Linux console.

So if you can only read Hebrew and X karks it, you are basically
stuffed?

--
Chris.
======