Re: usb to serial

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 05:20:23PM +1000, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> On Sun, 4 May 2008, Celejar wrote:

> I found this:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-to-RS232-Serial-DB9-9-Pin-Cable-Adapter-Converter_W0QQitemZ140230142593QQihZ004QQcategoryZ41995QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
> Will this work for what I want?
> (my braille display has a standard serial port on it.)
> Note that the serial port on my braille note has mail converters (so has
> pins in it not holes)
>
> Will this work for what I want?
>
> If you can get back to me before the add ends I will get it.

I can only address the male vs female thing: it doesn't matter re the
driver, however, since computers themselves generally have male serial
ports, you will need a gender-changer to connect your male braille to a
male serial port.

I used-to-would-have said that any computer store should have a 9-pin
serial gender-changer but that may not be true anymore.  If your local
store doesn't have one, you have a couple of options:

1.	See if there is one on ebay and get it with the adapter.

2.	Order one from your computer store: they are still made:
	Belkin or Startech should have them.

3.	If you know someone who can get a male and a female and a shell,
	they can solder one together for your.

There are no electronics in a gender-changer so you don't need to worry
about compatibility.  For details, you can checkout the serial-HOWTO (in
the doc-linux-[html] package, or on the ldp website.

Good luck.

Doug.