Re: getting gs to see ttf fonts

On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 06:19:01PM -0500, H.S. wrote:
> Chris Bannister wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 07:02:23PM -0500, H.S. wrote:
>>> I haven't got any reply to this problem. Either this particular thing
>>>  "just works" for everybody and no body knows what could be wrong (so
>>>  never looked), or the problem is not straight forward at all. So,
>>> which  one is it?
>>
>> So you installed some ttfs, and if you print a .pdf all is ok, but if
>> you print a .ps it isn't?
>
> Yes, that is pretty much it.

Right, ok.

>>> Also, can anybody confirm the above problem does not occur for him?
>>
>> Sorry I can't because I don't use Open Office, but more importantly I
>> haven't installed any ttfs which were not officially apt-getable.
>
> I use the following fonts.
> $> apt-cache policy ttf-indic-fonts
> ttf-indic-fonts:
>   Installed: 1:0.5.1
>   Candidate: 1:0.5.1
>   Version table:
>  *** 1:0.5.1 0
>         500 ftp://gulus.usherbrooke.ca testing/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

OK, that site is not official.

>> How do you generate your .pdf compared with your .ps, or is it a menu
>> choice, which unfortunately hides all the gory details.
>
> From within OOo from a menu, it exports the odt file directly to PDF.

Good,

>> Also, the fonts you see on the screen are not the same fonts which you
>> see on paper.

This is still something to keep in mind. You see, I think that with a
PDF, all the fonts pictures etc are all bundled together, whereas with a
.ps file (which is just a text file anyway), its getting processed while
its printing. So depending on what is actually happening during the
processing ..., maybe it checks to see if there are printer fonts in the
printer and if not tries to ... Ahh!

Have you got gsfonts installed?
Are there any indic gsfonts at ftp://gulus.usherbrooke.ca?

[..]

>> 	* How did you generate the .ps
>
> From within openoffice.org, printed to a file from a virtual printer.
> Also tried printing directly to the printer (Brother 2070n). Both give
> identical results.

So you can save to a .ps file in a directory somewhere?

Does the .ps print after doing:

	ps2pdf xxxx.ps

then:

	lp xxxx.pdf

If this works, there's something up with Open Office. But if it doesn't
are there any errors? (that is the bit which may shed some light)

Also, I'd try saving the PDF from Open Office, then:

	pdf2ps xxxx.pdf

then:

	lp xxxx.ps

If this works, there's something up with Open Office. But if it doesn't
are there any errors? (that is the bit which may shed some light)

I'm betting its something to do with ghostscript, or if your printer is
a postscript printer, you haven't got the right printer fonts.

Hopefully someone will fame me *IF* I'm off track. :-)

--
Chris.
======